Google Analytics Script

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Episcopal Tourist, Palm Sunday with the Lutherans





I am down in South Carolina near my birthplace Greenville staying with my old college roommate John and his wife Marise who arranged a recital and master classes for me here. I attended their church Joy Lutheran for Palm Sunday services.

Marise was singing in the choir so John and I arrived just as the service was beginning out on the front lawn. We were warmly greeted and given palms and bulletins. I was identified as a visitor and invited to fill out an information card.

We joined the liturgy in progress led by the “vicar” a young woman seminarian who read the Matthew Gospel. There was a donkey lead by a local farmer.

We processed into the church as the farmer took his donkey away to a waiting trailer. There was a musical prelude with instruments. As we came in the choir began singing “All Glory Laud and Honor”. Their version is slightly different in melody and rhythm and I needed to pay attention. We came to the front, left our palms by the altar and took our seats.

There was an anthem Hosanna Loud Hosanna played on the hand chimes, quite lovely.

After brief prayers Pastor Lane Bembenck welcomed us and made a number of announcements.

This is a church plant. The area was once farmland and is now rapidly becoming residential. In 1998, Pastor Lane went house to house and invited people to come to his new church. First they met in a home but soon outgrew it. They now have a fine new Sanctuary and church buildings. There were at least 125 present at this service. There are many activities and very active outreach including a shelter for homeless in the church.. Next month they will vote to refinance their mortgage.

The service continued with a reading by four people of the St Matthew Passion, after which we sang “Were you there”. There was no sermon though Marise tells me Pastor Lane is an excellent speaker.

The prayers of the people were read by the Pastor and were quite brief.. After the offering we celebrated Holy Communion. The only thing that made it really different for me was that intinction was the only option, no drinking from the cup. After the blessing we left the church in silence.

The silence was quickly broken as we lined up to greet the Pastor and Vicar. I was recognized as a visitor. The pastor said “you must be Episcopalian”. Somewhat taken aback I asked how he knew. He said “your cross. I was wearing my Jerusalem Cross that Lee brought me from the Holy Land.

John and I continued outside into the warm sunshine and spoke with several people. One couple came up to our car as we were leaving to say how much they had enjoyed my singing.

As we drove out of the driveway to the highway we passed a sign that said “You are entering the Mission field.”

No comments: