Google Analytics Script

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Pentecost at Trinity Saint Louis

This is actually my 3d visit to this church. I had intended to visit others, but something kept pulling me back here. I guess it felt like home.

It was a sea of red when I entered the Sanctuary. There were red shirts ties, hats, shoes, dresses, the works. These folks were into Pentecost in a big way.

The celebrant this morning was the Very Rev Ronald Clingenpeel , retired dean of the Cathedral here who is a member of the parish. He is also a clergy deputy to General Convention and I am familiar with his writing on our list serv. This was his last official Sunday as he is moving away.

The opening hymn was #225 Hail thee festival day in the shorter pentecostal version, only 4 verses. Organist Jeffery Nall introduced it with a fanfare and played it with great spirit.

The thurifer was working hard this morning and the Church was filled with heavenly scents. The Gospel procession featured Deacon Leip only however. When he reached the words "He breathed on them and said to them Receive the Holy Spirit" I became aware of murmurs all around me in the congregation. I am not sure how many languages there were, but the effect was stunning.

There followed a most memorable sermon, not so much for the content or delivery though they were both excellent but for the opening. The Dean said "lets get right to it" and proceeded to light a small torch from the candle and SWALLOWED IT SEVERAL TIMES finally putting it out. He then told us (alluding to the Gospel) that he was not drunk. The essence of Christ is in our hearts. The list serv of GC Deputies has been having a discussion about titles. What do you call a priest, father, mother, pastor, reverend etc? The first Christians had no titles but preached urgently from their hearts as we should do. God has touched you he said, or you would not be here today taking in the music of our liturgy and the prayers of the people. Preach the Gospel, use words if necessary. Share our story, evangelism is not crazy TV preachers or people yelling in the street. Ask someone to come to church with you. You have the power to show God's face with a simple loving honest invitation. He repeated his fire swallowing trick one more time and said Amen. The people loudly echoed this.

The prayers of the people featured an intercessor dressed in a red skirt wearing a red hat, matching shoes and reading from a red folder. After the prayers of the people and the peace, the Dean was given some farewell gifts that included a very nice guitar strap, so I guess he plays one.

The choir sang Everett Titcomb's lovely setting of I will not leave you comfortless which our choir has done several times.. They began somewhat timidly but grew in confidence and tone as the anthem progressed. The rising lines in the latter part reminded me of incense rising and indeed it was also.

The Dean began Eucharistic prayer B. He is one of the best chanters I have heard, his pitch was rock steady, words clear and sung with rich well supported tone.

I noticed in the creed and in the words of the Eucharist that some were using She for He as the God pronoun.

As i customary here, two hymns were sung during communion. One I was not familiar with was #505 O spirit of life O spirit of God. Look it up, very interesting words. The other was the well loved Come down O love divine.

The Thurifer showed off in the recessional with several triple front and back 360s.

The last hymn was Ye Holy Angels bright. The organist made this an event, it also danced with joy!

After the recessional, I introduced myself to Dean Clingenpeel who I will see at General Convention in Indianapolis in 2012. When I told him that I was a deputy from Western Mass, he told me that he was friends with Sarah Shoftstall as they grew up together in Nebraska, and roommate at seminary (or was it college) with Bill Coyne. The Episcopal world is small.

Coffee hour was full of people and featured very nice croissant sandwiches, shrimp, fresh fruit, and cakes. People were as always here, very friendly and I had a number of nice conversations. Several people have seen or will see the opera. I met Martha Baker a writer and editor who is on the Standing Committee for Liturgy and Music. It turns out we have been at two meetings together, one in Concord, NH and one in Atlanta. More small world. She writes frequently for Episcopal Life. Here is a link to one of her stories.

I will miss this friendly little church. Today's service had such energy and spirit that I felt greatly uplifted as I left.

1 comment:

Janet said...

Mr. Cheek,

Thank you for your wonderful blog
about your experience here at Trinity Episcopal Church St. Louis.I'be been a member of this church and parish since 1967 when my husband and I moved into the Central West End of the City. It was a joy to have you join us and
worship with us during your stay in St. Louis to perform in Opera Theatre. Thank you for sharing your wonderful energy with us!
Blessings,

Janet (choir member)