Google Analytics Script

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Episcopal Tourist, St Luke's Cathedral Orlando






On the day of my final show in Orlando, I decided to attend St Luke's Cathedral a 15 minute walk from my hotel downtown. It was winter in Florida with a stiff wind and temps in the high 50s.

I arrived, was greeted warmly and went inside the magnificent sanctuary with its stained glass on both the ground and clerestory levels. Above the altar an elaborately carved crucifix was suspended just below a large round stained glass window. Light streamed in from above. Episcopal and US flags stood next to the pulpit and lector's sides. The choir and a large pipe organ were located in the rear balcony. There appeared to be 150-200 present.

There was silence before the opening acclimation followed by the decalogue with the familiar Healy Willan responses. Then followed the confession of sin and absolution. After this came the procession to a beautiful Kyrie (Link to youtube of that service) by Michael Miller . Only the priests, deacon, acolytes, and verger processed as the choir was already in place.

After the Genesis reading the Orlando Deanery Boychoir and Girls Choir sang "O for theWings of a Dove by Mendelssohn. What a glorious sound they made, pure and very strong! After the Epistle came the sequence hymn "Take up your Cross and follow me". There was no Gospel procession perhaps because of the season. The Deacon read the Mark Gospel.

Dean Clark gave the sermon. He compared Christianity to baseball spring training now going in in Orlando. All the players need to do is throw, hit, and catch the ball. The principle is simple but like Christianity, to actually do it well is very difficult. Jesus polls the crowd "Who am I? Peter says, you are the Messiah. Jesus is not what many think the Messiah would be, a conquering hero. Instead, he will be killed and rise again. To follow Jesus is simple, but not easy.
For Lent he suggests setting aside our agenda and following His. Take up the cross , identify with His humiliation. Visit a jail, feed the hungry. How well do you hear the voice of the Good Shepherd. Look to God for help in this difficult test. Temptation is hard to resist.

After the peace volunteers came down the aisle. Visitors were asked to identify themselves and we were given a lovely gift bag.

The anthem at the offertory was "Christ Hath a Garden" by Gerald Near, word by Robert Bridges

Christ hath a garden walled around,
A Paradise of fruitful ground,
Chosen by love and fenced by grace
From out the world's wide wilderness.

Like trees of spice his servants stand,
There planted by his mighty hand;
By Eden's gracious streams, that flow
To feed their beauty where they grow.

Awake, O wind of heav'n and bear
Their sweetest perfume through the air:
Stir up, O south, the boughs that bloom,
Till the beloved Master come:

That he may come, and linger yet
Among the trees that he hath set;
That he may evermore be seen
To walk amid the springing green.

The Eucharist was Rite I Prayer II. The Prayer of Humble Access was the old form including "Not worthy so much as to gather up the Crumbs under thy Table". It was definitely "High Church" with smells, bells and chanting all very well done.

The Communion anthem was "The Eyes of God" words and music by Benjamin Lane. This was sung with aching beauty and moved me very much. The organist played the hymns with imagination and skill on a wonderful instrument. It was a joy to sing with him.

The recessional was "The God of Abraham Praise". As the organist piled on registration I also ramped up my own volume. I am afraid I actually frightened the little girl in the pew in front of me. But as soon as the service ended, the lady sitting next to me engaged me in conversation. She was a member of the adult choir who were mostly taking the Sunday off. I was not able to speak to the family of the little girl as they left rather quickly. So I stayed for the rest of the postlude Bach's Fugue in B Minor. Afterwards I walked slowly out carrying my gift bag, which of course identified me as a visitor. There were groups of people talking as I left, but none looked up or spoke to me. The clergy had left by this time, possibly for a coffee hour to which I was not invited. I lingered briefly in the narthex and finally left. No one noticed.

I live in fear of this happening at our own church. But I hope it does not and we do try very hard. This service was beautifully done, anglo Catholicism at its best, truly wonderful music and liturgy in a magnificent space. And unlike last week the congregation were very engaged in participating. But their participation seemed very inward. What is the point of our beautiful liturgy if it does not transform hearts?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes the members forget to realize that a visitor needs a special recognition, and a friendly smile. Life has gotten too busy to be courteous and welcoming- nwhat a shame!
These services are indeed beautiful and worshipful, and I always leave with a warmer heart after being there!

Anonymous said...

"I was not able to speak to the family of the little girl as they left rather quickly. So I stayed for the rest of the postlude Bach's Fugue in B Minor. Afterwards I walked slowly out carrying my gift bag, which of course identified me as a visitor. There were groups of people talking as I left, but none looked up or spoke to me. The clergy had left by this time, possibly for a coffee hour to which I was not invited. I lingered briefly in the narthex and finally left. No one noticed." This is typical of this congregation. The clergy always hightail it out of there at the end of the 10:15 service, often before the end of the postlude. People rarely talk to strangers. It is a beautiful service but don't expect anything beyond the service and music.