Google Analytics Script

Sunday, October 14, 2012

A Letter from Dorreen Hutchinson to the Congregation of the “Soon to Be” Grace Church

Chapter 1
What a privilege to write the first few verses in this new and exciting chapter of our future church lives together. When I think of the image of Grace, I am brought back to a time in my adolescent life when my family (mom, dad, sister) dedicated our lives to the Sacred Heart of Jesus. The central image was the Heart, with lots of light emanating outward. It wasn’t the ritual, but the concept that I recall best. That was when we were committed to being the reflection of Christ’s Heart in our world.
 
It is that reflection of Christ that I see in each person here and why I wish to be an active participant in Grace. It isn’t just about our common worship, but the common values and spirit which is so palpable here. Others feel it when they come here – the Diocesan Committee felt it; the place in which we work, the groups we participate in, the Diocese and visitors – there is something very different here – something very alive, which emanates from each one of you and it is awesome. That is why grace for me. I want to be a part of this.
 
So, why do I pledge? 
 
I see a tremendous focus on mission here. I feel that my pledge of time, talent and treasure is meaningful. Supporting Gideon’s Garden is so rewarding! I like being part of something that benefits so many in our community – feeding many with the bounty of the Garden; providing opportunity for many who wish to volunteer in a meaningful way (Kiwanis, Railroad Street Youth Project), or providing fresh food for community dinners at Breaking Bread, the Guthrie Church Dinner and the Pantries.
  • And let’s not underestimate the opportunity to teach others about growing vegetables and caring for chickens – like BRIDGE elementary school groups and Brookside.
  • And how do you quantify what it means to a special needs child to feel the soil under their feet, to finger new seedlings and to hold the bounty in their hands?
  • And, most of all, to watch the support and mentoring of young people like Brendan, Kyle and now Matt. I have observed firsthand the delight in my granddaughter’s face as she watched the chickens, the goats and the ducks. And when Kyle and Matt took her so lovingly to see the huge pumpkins and watermelons they grew, I saw her positive response to them as young people teaching her, which was nothing short of amazing.
 
My pledge helps support all of this tremendous work. I may not be there each day, but I trust Sue and Penny and Dan and Paul and Keith to use their skills and knowledge to make it happen.
 
This is my way of being the reflection of Christ’s Heart in my part of the world.

No comments: